Sunday, July 24, 2011

Smocking Success

My smocking fascination has really blossomed. I have completed 2 classes and anxiously anticipate my final class in a few weeks. I continue to be the youngest person in attendance and realized last class I am also the only person that does not require reading glasses to see the work. In fact, a few of the ladies had their regular glasses AND their reading glasses. I don't mind though. It's kind of cool to hang with grandmas for a few hours.
Below is my sampler I am working on for class. We have learned most of the basic geometric stitches and I really enjoy practicing while watching my evening Criminal Minds episodes. Perhaps making adorable things for little babies helps to deter fear while watching serial killers on rampage. Or perhaps I'm dreaming of making these items for my love child with Dr. Reid. Either one could be true or both false. Nonetheless, I'm loving the stitching.
I figured with the knowledge I had gained (and numerous web tutorials and videos) I could attempt a project. I wanted to do a dress. However, I need a pattern and probably a little more experience on the sewing machine. I decided that a bonnet would be easier than a dress and give me an opportunity to get comfortable with construction post smocking. After reading a few articles and blogs online, I learned that gingham is the easiest to learn on for pleating and stitching. I had recently made some gingham napkins for my neighbor and had leftovers. BONUS!
I went to my fabric store and purchased some lace trim and ribbon to make this happen. I learned to hand pleat while watching TV and then found a FREE smocking plate (pattern) online that I played with a little bit. This bonnet is by no means fancy, but I think it was a good first try. I even taught myself to do what is called "bullion knots" to hold the ribbon in place on the sides. I'm pretty proud of this.

Since I don't have a kid, I had to use someone else to model. Mr. Bear was hesitant since he's a boy, but he cooperated. I would like to think a kid's head would be a little bigger than Mr. Bear's. It should fit a child in the size range of 0-3 months.
Last week I ordered a bubble pattern since that one can do double duty: boy or girl. I'm really excited to get it in the mail and try something a little more substantial. And if you play your cards right, perhaps I will send something smocked your way.
Our final class will be on picture smocking and I feel like that will be best used with little boys. Two of my VAB girlfriends just had little boys, so I can't wait to put something together for them soon. Plus, I love bishop necklines and this pattern includes that too! I love hobbies...
Oh, and you may wonder who gets the first bonnet. I'm keeping this one. :)

1 comment:

The Denbow Family said...

I love the bonnet! So presh :) I so wish I had the time and energy to learn how to do this!!!!