Saturday, March 13, 2010

We are here...

This morning was my last long run before the big day next weekend. I can't believe the time has flown by and 6 months of training has come to a close. The last Saturday run really isn't a "long" one prior to a marathon if you consider the 15; 18; and 20 mile mornings we have had. Nonetheless, we coasted through 8 miles in decent time and still have the rest of our day ahead of us. Trust me, that is a BIG deal.

It absolutely amazes me to recall all the Saturday mornings we have trodded the streets of Virginia Beach at unreasonable hours. I must say, I'm pretty proud of myself. I am asked all the time, "Are you ready?" At first, I wasn't so sure but after considering the hundreds of miles I have put in and the success of our 20 miler, I have to say I am. I'm really nervous about it but super excited.

They say when you cross the finish of a marathon, emotion will overtake you. I use to giggle at the thought, but now I can see why. What a feeling it will be to run that distance and reflect on the commitment and challenge you have dedicated yourself to the last 6 months. We have run in some very unsightly weather: nor'easter, ice storm, and just plain freezing. But all of that will pay off on the morning of March 21. I imagine this sort of thing will help push you through life, too. When life presents its challenges, I can tell myself, "You ran a marathon, this is nothing!"

Wish me luck and I'll report back, if I'm not laid up for days after. :o)

4 comments:

The Denbow Family said...

I am proud of you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are ready. Now in the final week it is important to trust your training. Do your scheduled runs but no more.

I am proud of you and Karen and I will be there at the end.

Tim

Unknown said...

Good luck Mindy - even though I know you don't need it! You're going to do GREAT! I'm so proud of you! :)

Sarah Bragg said...

Good luck!! This is such an incredible thing!