Saturday, May 15, 2010

Wedding Solo

I had a rather interesting evening. A very dear friend of mine, Meghan, got married this afternoon. I had 4 folks that were going to go with me and other things came up, so I was going to attend this celebration solo. I have never attended a wedding where I knew no one other than the bride, groom, and the bridesmaids before. I was a bit nervous and extremely hesitant to go. But guess what. Weddings aren't about you. They are for the bride and groom. So, I got myself dressed and drove down to the oceanfront for the beachside nuptials alone. I arrived a few minutes before the ceremony was scheduled to begin, so I was in a bit of a rush to make it to the sand. As I got out of my car and headed towards Atlantic Ave., I noticed 3 dudes slightly dressed up going in the same direction. I'm rarely intimidated by strangers, so I turned around and said "Are you guys going to a wedding?" They said yes. "Shane and Meghan's wedding?" "Yes." "Sweet, me too." An original solo affair ended up as the 4th addition to the three amigos. I haven't had that much fun at a wedding in a long time. Those guys were so great and you would have thought I had known them for awhile. They were friends of the groom, so they were asking me to tell them about the bride. They had not met her before. By the end of the evening, they asked me to introduce them to her. So, I took them over and said, "Meghan, these are my friends John, George, and Dan." HA! Going solo isn't so bad after all...

No comments: