Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Reading Nook

If you knew me in college, then you can recall this chair. It began as my parent's living room chair but became mine when I moved in at 20th Street. I recovered it this crazy yellow fabric to match my crazy bright blue couch. My style then was whimsical and colorful. It was college and I wasn't ready for "adult decorating." I brought the chair with me to VAB but hid it in a spare room. I wanted to use it again but just not in this shape. Both my style and taste have changed since college, needless to say.


I officially divorced the chair and ottoman a few weeks ago. The chair now lives in my bedroom and the ottoman will live in my living room once a few changes are made. I'll update you on those updates, but first the chair.

For a while, I have envisioned a little reading nook in my bedroom using the yellow chair. I weighed my options of recovering it, either by myself or hiring it out, or using a slip cover. My financial situation said "Slip cover." I purchased a black slip cover right after Christmas as the first step towards my dream reading nook.

I wanted to use my new love for sewing to dress up this little corner. Since I love houndstooth, I decided to make a pillow to use with my new favorite fabric pattern. I had a small side table I decided to use but needed to add something to cover the top. Its original top didn't match at all. My mother suggested using the leftover houndstooth and a solid color to make a small runner. I made that this weekend with scraps I found around my sewing corner. A reading lamp was purchased on sale and Chip finally hung a picture tonight.


I'm pretty excited about this little corner of my room. Now, I wonder if the reading nook will inspire me to, well, read.

No comments: