Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It's an addiction...

Bread. Since receiving the book, I have made 4 loaves.

First off, the book arrived on my doorstep a full day prior to the expected delivery day. That was pretty exciting! I opted to spend the evening reading up on the method, make the dough the next day, and bake my first loaf the following day. Well, I made the dough right after work and let it rise for the evening. Around 8:30pm, the curiosity overtook me. I had to make bread immediately! And I did. The aroma in my home was amazing and the excitement that I made bread was incredible. It could have been Christmas morning for a 6 year old to see my reaction to yummy artisan bread coming out of my oven. Albeit, I was alone so there are no witnesses.

The first loaf was pretty good but a bit denser than I would prefer. The book says your first loaf from a batch will not taste the same as the last loaf. Boy were they right! I made the other loaf a few days later and it was better than anything you would ever purchase at a store.

This new found interest is entirely too easy to execute and may be my downfall. But on the upside, it definitely fueled me for my latest long run without any complications. So, learning to make my own bread may be just what the doctor ordered for Marine Corps training. Of course, that won't start until July-ish but those details aren't really important...right?

No comments: