Monday, November 10, 2008

Competition at the "Track"

My during the week running spot is a park called Mt. Trashmore. It is all that it sounds like it would be - a previous dump, but I digress...
I'm always entertained by the dudes that are running around there. You see, there are two kinds: the old guys and the young guys.
I have this unspoken rule about running with the old guys. I purposely don't pass them because I like to think that my mere presence on their heels pushes them to run faster and harder. I feel like it is my civic duty to challenge them. And trust me, everytime I do it, I can tell they are pushing themselves harder than usual to beat this girl. I love it!
Now, the young guys are a different story. I am not morally opposed to passing a young guy. Typically if I do, he picks up the speed so much that I end up passing him again after about a half a mile because he is worn out by his sprint. Today was interesting episode. I heard a young chap on my heels and this dude knew he had a spectator. So, I watched him pass me and begin hurdling park benches and fences. I was impressed because he looked so graceful doing it. So, I tried to keep up with him for awhile just to see what else he could do to entertain me. Then, it happened. The brother didn't quite make it over the park bench and did a little tuck and roll. He actually performed that one gracefully, too! I think the embarrassing episode gave him a second wind because he was gone after that! Oh well, the first mile was fun...

1 comment:

Bobby Lou Cash said...

Wow! Was him name Drew White by any chance? That sounds like something he would do.