Saturday, January 10, 2009

Know when to fold 'em

Today I learned a lesson that only Kenny Rogers can teach you. You gotta know when to fold 'em...know when to walk away, know when to run.
Let me give you a little background before I share my adventure today. As a Science major in college, my classes would offer extra credit if we participated in the blood drive. I will do most anything for extra credit. So, my dad and I made donating blood a father/daughter event. Before you say "awwww," I think the real reason is because my father didn't want me to go alone. This is why: I faint while giving blood. In fact, one time I was donating and mid ball squeeze I fainted and began convulsing in the chair. My father jumped out of his chair to make sure I was still alive while the volunteers frantically began to "save" me. During this episode, my very dear friend, Joanna, was watching. We hadn't met yet, but she recognized me months later when were introduced.
Because I donated blood at least twice a year, I learned the tricks to keep me conscious through the experience. Today I did not practice them all, which leads to my story. I agreed to give it another go for a friend of mine and participate in her organization's blood drive. I mean, I have blood so I should give it away, right? Well, first off, they should not have made me sit in the chair as long as they did. This just built anxiety. Once I completed the process, I felt good. I wasn't nauseous or weak, so I made my way to the goodies table to grab some sugar and sit down for a second. I sat down with some pretzels and began considering some sweets when it all went down hill. I started to feel really light headed and almost checked out. The volunteers/nurses caught wind of it and before I knew it they had an ice pack on my neck, transferred to a donating chair, and tilted back so that the blood would return to my head. After a few sips of Ginger Ale and some folks fanning me, I was better. I joked that I just do it for the attention...
I like to think I didn't "close the sale" on fainting. If passing out is a three step process and the 3rd step is complete unconsciousness, I only achieved step 2. But one thing is certain, I didn't get extra credit for this one. I am officially done. I do have blood and from now on I'm keeping it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God Mindy! This is good news!I'm glad your ok:)

Joel Andrews said...

As a member of the health care community I am saddened by this news...whatever happened to the redistribution of blood? Just kidding, I don't give myself...after shoving needles into arms for years, I have developed somewhat of a phobia.

Bobby Lou Cash said...

I didn't know this is how you two "met". Maybe I will give blood in your stead...It will take me a while to work up the courage though, but maybe sometime before the year is out I will donate in your honor. (I am terrified of needles and imagine myself being forced into a chair much like a cat being forced into a box.)
Mary

Unknown said...

All of you are whimps! :) J/k I do donate at least a couple times a year and thus the Red Cross stalks me! I do have O+ and thus am a universal donor so they do love me!