Saturday, February 21, 2009

20k Success

I've been running consistently for the last 8+ years. It was only in the last 2 years that I decided to get really serious about it and train for long distances. I am currently training for my 3rd half marathon.
During the training season, I have good runs and I have bad runs. I am just beginning to pinpoint how to make them all good runs, weather permitting. My last half was from the pit of hell. I hated it. I blame the 97% humidity and the nervousness I always get pre-race. Nonetheless, I keep going. This training season has seen more bad runs than usual, or so I think. I attempted a 10 mile run a few weeks ago and got sick around mile 8. I had to make a stop in the Visitor's Center and attempted to run the final 2 miles. It just wasn't going to happen and so I fell short of my goal. BOOOO! That was the last long run before this morning.
I have been a bit nervous all week for this 20k since I hadn't successfully completed a double digit distance yet. However, I did it and felt really good. I mean, the 2 sets of hills weren't my favorites and I honestly thought I was going to die on the last one, but I did it! Time wasn't my best, but it wasn't slow either. And, I have no ITB problems, which is typically an issue 12+ miles for me. So, I'm very encouraged for the half in a few weeks.
So, what makes a good run, good? I think I have narrowed it down to a few things. One thing I can't control is weather. I don't mind cold but I don't like windy. Today was about 30ish degrees when we started, but the sun was bright. That made a world of difference. Another thing is food. I mean, I know what I should be eating but sometimes I fall short. I specifically planned for my Friday night meal not to mention wisdom in my breakfast and lunch options that day. Also, I have a routine pre-run that works. Today I spiced it up a bit and I think that helped. I always eat a piece of bread with peanut butter and try to eat an entire banana. I usually don't finish the banana but leave the rest in my car so I can eat the last bite or so when I return from the run. I've been over peanut butter for awhile, so today I added a little bit of jelly. Mmmmm! It helped me to stomach it. :o) The final thing is rest. I have gone to bed early every night this week so I was sure to be completely rested come Saturday morning. I know I looked rough this morning. My running partner asked me when she saw me if they were keeping me up but I did feel rested. I just took a little longer to get stirring.
The Shamrock will be less than a mile more than what I ran today, so I know I can do it. I may even beat my PR in a few weeks. I'm not holding my breath on that one though. Finishing strong like I did today without any ITB problems will make me extremely happy.

2 comments:

cbo said...

Congrats on the race Mindy! Glad it went well. (Hey if you had been running up here, it would have been in snow.) :) See you back at the office on Tues.

Bobby Lou Cash said...

I have my first race on the 28th. A 5k sounds like nothing compared to a half, but I am nervous about it. I havn't ran in almost 2 weeks, but that all changes starting now!
Mur