Sunday, July 11, 2010

My new addiction

When I was a little girl, my parents called me a chipmunk. Know why? Because anytime I would eat a dessert of some kind and it had nuts in it, I would sift through the yummy cake/ice cream/brownie/etc. and stock the nuts in my cheeks. Then at the end of the dessert experience, I would spit them out into a napkin. My parents loved nuts, so it was my only way of still enjoying sweet treats even though I couldn't stand the nuts.

Oh, how times have changed. I love almonds, pistachios, pecans, and walnuts. Sometimes I enjoy cashews and rarely indulge in peanuts, but I don't stockpile the edible kernels from confections any longer. Which leads me to this recent addiction.

Every week I indugle in a trip to Trader Joe's. I love food and cooking, so it is sort of a fun field trip every Saturday that I cannot wait to make week after week. With list in hand, I always allow myself one "off list" item that I want to taste. This week I purchase Pecan Pralines. OH MY GOODNESS! I have had some yummy pralines in my life made by the hands of Louisianans. I've even had pralines from the famous Savannah Candy Kitchen. Those are all yummy but these are by far the greatest pralines I have ever ingested. My new problem: I just can't stop eating them! Oh, how self control would be good about now.

No comments: