Monday, September 13, 2010

Coconut Water: Miracle Drink or Gimmick?


I'm not going to dance around the issue. If any product has a compelling argument that it will make me run better, improve my health, or increase weight loss, chances are pretty great I will buy it and give it a chance. Sales folks for these type products see me coming a mile away.

I have read a few articles on line and heard from a co-worker about coconut water. I hadn't seen it in any stores yet, so I hadn't given it a shot. My trip to Trader Joe's this weekend gave me an opportunity to purchase. I figured I could spend $1.49 for the test.

According to the interweb, coconut water has more potassium than a banana and contains the 5 electrolytes that your body needs to stay hydrated. The potassium helps to maintain water balance and helps optimizing your muscles contracting and relaxing. And BONUS: The 11 ounce package I purchased only had 60 calories.

I decided I would try it today with my easy run in case I had some adverse reaction to it. It has a very unusual taste. Something about the name lead me to believe it may have a taste of coconut. Not true. It is a taste I have never had before. Since it did not meet my expectation of coconuty flavor, I was extremely surprised. It wasn't gross and I will probably enjoy it more now that I know what to expect.

Nonetheless, I drank it about 45 minutes before running. At the beginning of my run, I noticed that my legs still felt tired from Saturday but I had plenty of energy to finish. In fact, our schedule for today said 5 miles at a 10:30 pace. I averaged 5 miles at a 10:00 pace and I wasn't trying. I also noticed that I wasn't dying for water at the end as I usually do. Now, this could all be in my head since I ate well today and also had a yogurt and fruit this afternoon before the drink. AND the weather isn't a million degrees so I'm not as dehydrated as I was this summer. AND I drank about 80 ounces of water before the run. Lots of factors could have played into the success of the run but it is way more exciting to say I found a miracle drink.

No comments: