Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I DID IT! I DID IT!

Well, it's training season again so I'll probably be posting a lot more about this event's preparation. We have set a goal to break 2 hours at the half in November. This is a pretty lofty goal since my best is 2:15 and Karen's best is 2:09 (I think). Realistically speaking, we thought 2:05 would be more reasonable for November and shoot for 2:00 in March at Shamrock. BUT, we will see.

Tonight was our first speedwork effort. Tim, Karen's husband, has agreed to meet up with us one evening a week and lead us in some speed intervals. His goal tonight for us was to complete 6 intervals x 4 minutes at 9min/mile. Now let me put this in perspective for those of you unfamiliar with running. I am a very comfortable 10min/mile and have managed to keep about a 9:40 for very short runs of 3 miles. To trim 1 min from your pace is a pretty big deal. Well, I did it tonight.

The first 3 weren't really bad. He informed me that interval 4 and 5 would be the hardest and the last one would be easy. That was not the case for me. ALL of the last 3 were difficult with the final one being the absolute hardest. I have never breathed so hard in my entire life!!! I didn't think it would ever end or that I would catch my breath afterwards. According to "Coach", I ran all of my intervals under a 9 min pace except one at 9:01 AND I finished my last one at 8:47 (or 8:41 I can't remember). No wonder I was dying.

I feel pretty good tonight and I'm more motivated for November than ever before. My goal doesn't seem so lofty after tonight. Hip-Hip!

Amendment: Here are my official paces.
Interval 1: 8:39
Interval 2: 9:00
Interval 3: 8:59
Interval 4: 8:56
Interval 5: 8:42
Interval 6: 8:40

No comments: