Monday, March 16, 2009

The COG

If you live in Cleveland or have lived in Cleveland ever, you know all about the COG. I grew up in a Church of God (COG) church. I didn't know church to be any other way until I moved to Virginia Beach. Well, I returned to a COG church on Sunday morning to hear Dr. Conn speak. Dr. Conn is the president of my undergrad school, Lee University.

The entire morning was memory flooding. As I walked into the church and heard the music, I felt like I was back at Westmore all over again. I arrived late, typical Lee chapel style. When I entered and started looking around, I realized the guy leading worship went to Lee during my years and was a member of Campus Choir. The choir sang a typical pentacostal, emotion evoking tune mid service and did it Campus style. You remember. It's when you think they are finished and then the chorus starts up again. I found myself looking for Doc and listening for a shofar. I went with a friend of mine that also went to Lee. He recognized the Campus style song and we just laughed.

It was actually really cool to hear Dr. Conn again. His chapel services were the ones I enjoyed while at Lee and it's always a joy to hear a Southern accent out here. The message was extremely relevant for me right now and there was something about it coming from someone so familiar. I was disappointed that we didn't do the college benediction at the close; I was ready.

I realized that morning that although I cherish my memories in the COG and am grateful for the foundation it gave me in my Christian walk, I don't miss it at all. However, I also recognized that I wish I had savored my Lee days a little bit better. I definitely miss everyone...

Now, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight. Oh Lord...my strength..and my redeemer."

5 comments:

The Deavours Family said...

Thanks for always making me laugh. LOVED the benediction! Joanna, Kelly and I heard him at my mom's church (BufordCOG) a while back. Miss him, but definitely not the COG.

TateandLily'sMom said...

I think you got an amen on that one sister...

Sarah Bragg said...

I, too, loved the benediction at the end of your post!

Anonymous said...

Cant believe your knocking the COG! You might have a hit put out for you by the General Overseer. I totally relate with what your saying but I have to admit, I love the COG. I grew up Methodist and now I am Southern Baptist but miss good ole CleVegas, the COG, and all the pentecostal good times!

Matthew G.

Anonymous said...

By the way did I say.... Hallelu! Glory! and PTL!!!

Matthew G.