Thursday, March 12, 2009

Nursery

So, last night I did something I have never done before. In 30 years, I have NEVER helped with the nursery at church. Well, not just church, anywhere. I was point blank asked, so I couldn't back out. Of course, I told them up front "I don't do kids well, but I will come." If that didn't just boost their confidence, I don't know what will! So, last night I volunteered my "services" for the 2s and 3s.

It isn't that I don't like kids, because I do. I think they are funny and adorable. It's just that I don't have the foggiest idea what to do with them. My sister, on the other hand, has taught young children, babysat most of her life, and was a nanny for a few years. I have extremely minimal experience with the little ones. I called Keri last night to tell her what I was doing. Her response, "Um, what did you say? Do the parents know you will be there?" Thanks, sis!

It actually went well. I was a bit standoffish at first just trying to take it all in. One little girl, Ana, took a liking to me up front. Well, I think it all started because she had to go to the bathroom and they asked me to take her. Talk about nervous! But she knew what she was doing, so that was good. I got comfy at the coloring table and it wasn't so bad. Who knew that tracing hands would be such a hit! I must have traced a million hands and then let them trace mine. It was cute.

So, I officially am not terrified by helping out in the nursery. I am definitely not ready to go alone though. I don't think that would be wise for any of us!

1 comment:

Bobby Lou Cash said...

Congratulations. The little ones are not that scary...ok, well sometimes they are, but most of the time its ok. I am proud of you. The most fun is asking them deep questions and getting their take on things. It can be very insightful.
I would let you keep my kids any day.
Mur