Friday, February 19, 2010

An Elevator Kind of Day

I woke up this morning excited to wrap up some loose ends in Suffolk, head to VAB and do the same. Super pumped I had no plans this evening so I could eat well and sleep better to prepare for my 30k tomorrow morning. Oh, how those plans were thwarted.

For over a month, I have been waiting for a new roof and new window to be installed on my home. The new roof is condo covered and I'm footing the bill for the window. If you have watched the news lately, you know that weather has not been exactly made for construction work with all the snow/rain/wintry conditions. They completed the roof this week and called me on my way to work this morning to see if they could put my window in at noon. Hip-hip! After waiting so long, you take what you can get. I told him I would make that work. So, I went to Suffolk, began to wrap things up but had to leave in time for the construction peeps. I was rushed. I arrive at my home early and find the crew packing up. The leader of the pack says to me that he was about to call me and tell me not to come. Turns out the entire wall of the house for the window is rotted. They will have to rebuild it first and that cannot happen today. Good news is I don't have to pay for that. Bad news is I'm praying for good weather on Monday and it looks like rain. Off to VAB I went.

When I arrived at VAB I felt mentally drained from the morning in Suffolk and now trying to come up with plans B and C on the house. I hadn't eaten lunch yet and if you know me, you know I'm not very lovable when I'm hungry. Thankfully, GAs had sub day and willingly shared. I grabbed a sandwich, opened my laptop, and then commenced to putting out fires the rest of the afternoon. I had big plans of getting things done and no chance. I didn't get out of there until much later than normal. Good news is I don't have to make up time next week when I have a dentist appointment. Bad news is no one was in the office this afternoon to help me squelch 3 fires still burning and my dentist appointment is Monday morning.

Since I have 2 offices, I possess what I affectionately call my "office on wheels." It's basically a huge briefcase/roller bag for my laptop and files I have to carry between 23435 and 23462. My office in VAB is on the 3rd floor and I refuse to use an elevator for 3 flights of stairs. I feel like it's just lazy to take an elevator for such a small distance. It's a good way to get exercise. I walked out today and thought "I do not want to carry this huge briefcase down those stairs. I'm worn out!" Turns out, today was an elevator kind of day.

No comments: