Saturday, February 6, 2010

Lazy Saturday

For the last 3 years, I can probably count on 2 hands the number of Saturday mornings that I have spent in my home and not running. Even on many of those mornings that I didn't run, I had family visiting so I wasn't alone. My race from last weekend that was postponed to this morning was cancelled yesterday. (Can you follow that?) So Karen and I decided we would just run on Sunday morning since there were still some weather threats/scares for Saturday morning, mostly in the form of flooding. Now, she and I have recently braved running 18 miles in a monsoon but it definitely wasn't my favorite thing. Cold will be fine if we aren't wet. Tomorrow morning we will get back to our long run routine and hope the park and streets aren't still flooded.

I went to sleep last night rather early and turned off the alarm clock. I'm not sure when it was turned off last. I woke up "naturally" and decided to make some coffee and read. I'm in a book club and our next meeting is coming up. I'm still not finished with the book but had set a goal for the weekend to be sure I can have it read before the meeting. I curled up with a cup of Casi Cielo and Uncle Tom's Cabin and read all morning long. I did feel a little guilty not getting up and doing things immediately and probably wouldn't do well if this was my Saturday morning routine, but I enjoyed it today.

I'm not sure you have ever read Uncle Tom's Cabin, but let me encourage you to pick it up. It takes a few chapters to become involved with the story because there are numerous characters and several storylines that take some time to intersect. I tell you though, this book is very enlightening. Sure it depicts the life of slavery and has been credited for the start of the Civil War, but there are much deeper topics discussed and demonstrated in this book. I've pretty much cried all morning just in awe of the story. If you are a Christian, this book will both challenge your faith and encourage you to love deeper and with purpose.

I should probably shower and get the day started. Not much on the schedule but it was started off with a very relaxing morning.