Saturday, February 20, 2010

Race Report

Well, I have run 2 races in the last 2 weeks.

Last weekend was Valentine's Day, so I participated in the Virginia Is For Lovers 14k. Of course, it was freezing and the wind was pretty brutal in places since it was out in the open and very little wind blockage available on the route. I knew it was going to be a good race when they started the National Anthem and it began to snow. Now, that was magical. We even ended up with a few inches by the end of the race. It was the last weather condition that I felt like I needed to experience to consider myself a real runner. Run in a monsoon - Check! Run in below freezing temperatures - Check! Run in 97% humidity - Check! Run in icy conditions - Check! Run in falling snow - Check! DONE!

This morning was a 30k. This is the last training race prior to the marathon. I did ok with gun time 3:31. This morning, since I had PLENTY of time to think, I made a list of reasons running long distances is not lady-like:

1 - Burp Loud, Burp Often. I always seem to long for water stations during races. So, when I actually get there, I gulp up liquids knowing it is another 3 miles before I see this stuff again. The result? Lots of swallowed air. I find myself burping the next mile or so. Funny thing is, you just don't care. The louder the better.

2 - Litterbug, litterbug, it's ok to litter. I struggle with this one because I'm not one to just throw things on the ground. However, when the trashcan after the water station is about 2 steps from the water table, what's a girl to do? Stand there and drink it? I don't think so! That takes time. Karen assured me today it was ok. The volunteers would pick it up. I still feel guilty.

3 - Let it flow, that's why you wear gloves. Winter running creates a great environment for runny noses. At first, I use to wish I had some tissues. Lately, I just put my gloves back on and start wiping. Besides, where would I put the tissues? I'm already loaded up with GU every where imaginable, my keys, my shuffle, water belt...

4 - Lube up. Some folks use vaseline, but I would think that would be extremely messy. I use Bodyglide. So, before I head out, I cover any part of my body that could possibly chafe from the friction of clothing with Bodyglide. I have found it to prevent blisters on my feet and no more scaring from the crazy raw places that my sports bra creates. TMI?

5 - Spandex...enough said. I would hope a lady wouldn't normally wear spandex clothing out and about. However, it's a must have for the runner. Not because it looks good, believe me. It keeps you warm and creates less friction, see #4.

6 - Port-o-potty stops. In normal circumstances, you cannot pay me to use a public restroom. And when it is absolutely necessary, I take every possible precaution that would keep any part of my body touching anything on the other side of the "Ladies Room" sign. With running, I have been known to stop at many a port-o-potty both before and during a race. What's really bad is when it's out of toilet paper. I won't go there...

Next week is our final long run of 20-22 miles. Then it's tapering until the big day!

No comments: