Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fashion Investment


Well, we got the much anticipated snow. It was pretty amazing and I was in shock when I woke up Saturday morning to the glow of the moon on all the white stuff. I felt like the kid in "A Christmas Story" when he wakes up to winter white Christmas morning, except there weren't any presents to open or family nearby.
I have been cooped up in my home alone ever since. At first, it was awesome because I had the opportunity to do some things I always neglect because of a busy schedule. I was fine until about 6 last night. Cabin fever sunk in and I had been watching Food Network, Man v. Food, and other food shows all day. I WAS STARVING. Sure I had all of this food from the store to satisfy an Army's appetite. What I didn't have were hamburgers, pizza, and fried chicken. Those were things I was craving. Those were the featurs on all of the cooking shows. I finally just went to bed hoping for a better Sunday. After realizing I wasn't going to be driving anywhere again today, I decided to walk over to the Harris Teeter for 3 reasons: 1) to get out of the house, 2) to have some sort of people interaction, and 3) for milk. The last reason was the least important.
As I walked over I realized something. The most valuable pair of footwear I own was purchased in 1995.

Reflect back to the era of grunge music, flannel shirts, and Timberland boots. The Christmas of my junior year in high school I had to have these boots. I grew up in the South, so these Gore-Tex boots from L.L.Bean weren't intended for weather. I was actually wearing them...with outfits. My folks probably shelled out around 100 bucks for these 15 years ago but today they were priceless.

The snow drifts were easily a foot deep in places, so these boots kept my feet not only dry but warm. What was originally intended to look good has turned into an investment for winter weather. Thanks Mom & Dad!

2 comments:

Sarah Bragg said...

Oh the Timberland boots! I got my pair from Becky's that year. They were too small but i was determined to sport them.

The Deavours Family said...

THAT is hilarious!!! I loved my Timberland boots and flannel shirts, too. Thanks for the flashback. =)