Thursday, January 7, 2010

An Equation of Love

I witnessed a strangely amusing scenario today at work. It further confirmed a man's love of sport defines his love for another man.

There are very few employees from our VA Beach office that have added Suffolk to their office rotation. So, I have to make new friends. My office is located across from a very energetic and playful recruiter. The man is bursting with personality. Naturally, I enjoy fun people so we speak every once in a while. Today the topic turned into football. He goes on to tell me that he loves the Philadelphia Eagles. He explained to me that very few things stir up emotion inside him besides football. He further explained that he actually went to counseling last year when they traded one of their players. I giggled and said, "Are you serious?" He says, "Well, I had a few free sessions so..." I went on to inform him that my other VAB counterpart was also a huge Eagles fan. The man's eyes lit up like I just told him Santa Clause was real. (Sidebar: I have no idea what anyone's eyes would look like if I told them Santa was real because I have only done the opposite. I imagine the oppposite of tears would be what I saw.) Well, his excitement caused me to second guess myself that perhaps I was incorrect and my other co-worker loved the Steelers. I made my way to PSG's office to confirm the recruiter's excitement. I was correct and once again saw excitment of a child in a grown man's eyes.

I thought it was cute how they both talked about how they can't wait to talk to the other. I began to return to my office with PSG following so he could speak to the recruiter about their shared love. What happened next still makes me laugh. The 2 grown men, who have known each other for all of 3 days and have probably spoken no more than 3 words to one another, embraced. You would have thought they just learned they were long lost brothers, separated at birth. They began to reminisce about recent good games and share anger about disappointing ones. I observed a new brotherhood formed.

I wonder if they will wear matching Eagles jerseys on casual Friday?

No comments: