Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Almost Heaven

Working at a coffee shop is probably alot like being a drug dealer. I was a casual user in the beginning, but then when I started to work there I got it for free. Obviously, that increased both convenience and accessibility. But once I left, the addiction did not subside. Now I'm a hot mess! Well, in the time I spent at 7911 I developed some fantastic friendships and a number of them are still employed by Howard Schultz. As a result, there are plenty of pounds of coffee markouts to be shared and thankfully they remember dear old me. Which leads me to today and a thought that was confirmed in my mind: We, both former and current baristas, are all coffee snobs.

After spending 5 years of my life moonlighting as a barista, I have tasted most every coffee that came through that store. Collectively, baristas will typically agree on the "good" coffees and the "bad" coffees. There are a list of coffees that a barista will most likely point you towards when you inquire about the right coffee for you. Depending on the barista and their favorites, most likely they will suggest Sumatra, Gold Coast, or, for the wimpier ones, Breakfast Blend. (I have to agree with them most of the time except for Sumatra. The only time I enjoy that taste is with savory things like cheeses. I know it sounds weird, but it is true. Don't knock it till you've tried it.) The real excitement begins when the seasonal selections are available. Watch the barista's eyes light up when the Seattle order brings Anniversary Blend or Casi Cielo. This brings me to this post. My friend and former co-worker, Kerry, sends me a text on New Year's Day "We have Casi Cielo!! So next week, if you want my markout, you're more than welcome." This is a pretty big deal for the coffee snob.

This morning I drank the last of my Thanksgiving Blend (which was exceptionally good this year) and remembered that I could have Kerry's markout. So on my way to church this evening, I stopped in the store to pick it up. She was working and so we chatted for a second and then I saw there was another seasonal coffee from Mexico. I've sort of been digging the Latin American coffees lately and this one made me curious. So, I start asking the baristas if they have tried it. My buddy, Ro, was working and he gives me this look like, "Are you crazy?" I was confused until he said, "Mindy, Casi Cielo is back. Is there a question about which one to get?" You know what, he was right. Why would I even consider something else when coffee beans from heaven are sitting right there on the shelf. I picked up my bag and brought it home.

Tomorrow morning I will enjoy this rich, smooth, and slightly sweet goodness on my longer than usual commute to work and think, "It's just like heaven."

1 comment:

Sarah Bragg said...

This post makes me smile... especially because you talked about Howard. Loved his book, Pour Your Heart Into It.