Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Buy 2, Get 1 Free

I joined a book club at the end of last year. I was invited by a co-worker/then officemate to join her and some other women for a Classic Fiction Book Club. The one thing I love more than reading is a reason to buy more books. So, I joined up! We try to meet up once a month and chat about the book, vote on a new book, and eat snacks. Pretty much a good time.

Last night we met up for discussions on Ivanhoe. As a group, we voted to read this book. I personally wanted to read it because of the Robin Hood cameo. Unfortunately, I never "met" Robin Hood because I couldn't get past page 105. Sir Walter Scott was definitely paid by the word because this novel was verbose to the extreme. I like to be engaged in the book at least by page 50! He lost me. I had zero motivation to read. The only good thing about it was my ironing has been done for the last month since I would rather do that than read Ivanhoe. Extreme? Maybe...

Fortunately, I was not the lone quitter. There were other quitters in the group. Quitters love company. We decided on the next few months and I concluded in my mind that I would stop by the Barnes and Nobles and pick up February's book, Uncle Tom's Cabin. I was a little disappointed in myself for giving up, so I was determined to redeem myself by not only purchasing the next book but also beginning the next book.

I stopped into the Chesapeake Barnes and Noble on my way home and noticed the hardback classics near the door and a big red sign: "Buy 2, Get 1 FREE". What if they have the next 2 books? Then I could buy them both and get a freebie! I began to search through the stacks on the table. I found Uncle Tom's Cabin immediately. Hip-Hip! March's book is Mansfield Park, so I started looking for it. They had several Jane Austen novels and I just kept looking for the one. Maybe it would be there. That would be so awesome! I began to give up when I realized something very wonderful. There were books under the table! Could my first Jane Austen novel be among the books beneath the table? And there it was! I felt like the heavens parted and the Hallelujah chorus was belted out by a choir of angels. It was the greatest feeling I've ever had buying books. So, I'm prepared for February and March book club. And the freebie? I got Volume 1 of Sherlock Holmes for kicks!

That was the best book buying experience I have ever had.

No comments: