Friday, October 22, 2010

Little Chicken

I have a friend at work that grew up on a farm way up north. His way of introducing his family to farmlife and bringing a little bit of home to VA is raising chickens. Yes. I said chickens. He raised 12 chickens to lay eggs for his family. He told me all about it a few weeks ago and I was just excited about the thought of fresh eggs on a Sunday morning. Unfortunately, I have no space for chickens in my condo and I'm pet averse. So, I'm not a good candidate for chicken raising right now. He informed me that his chickens were laying eggs like crazy and much more than his family could enjoy. If I brought in an egg carton, he agreed to fill it up. How exciting is that?!?! So, I brought one in for my little share of farm freshness.

My co-worker bought 8 more chicks and we agreed that I could "sponsor" one. He brought in a video of them all chirping away and let me pick out "my" new chicken. I asked if I was going to get pictures as my little chick grew up to be an egg laying chicken and if I would receive letters that I could display on my refrigerator. He said he will work on both. Then he showed me what my little adorable yellow chick will look like as an adult.
Here is what she looks like right now:
And this little ball of feathery fun is what she will look like in a few months:


She is a White Cochin. I'm sure mine will be much more adorable than this interweb picture, but you get the idea. Here's the problem. I have to name her! Give me some suggestions, people! The sooner we name her, the sooner she can mature and lay eggs. Well, that last part may be a bit of an exaggeration but I do not want her to be nameless. She needs an identity other than egg provider.

Oh! And I'm sure you are dying to know what culinary delight I'm going to attempt this weekend with my fresh eggs? Cheese Souffle! Bon Apetit!

No comments: