Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Prescription To Read

Today I participated in my first ever physical. (Don't judge me.) I figured 32 was a good age to get some baselines for future preventative care. I had bloodwork taken last week and today was the "inspection."



Doc had a med student shadowing him. He went through the assumably usual questions and, of course, my answers were pretty boring. Sometimes you want to just make stuff up so you don't seem so ridiculously boring, but I figured medical visits and FBI investigations are moments that you don't want to try the story telling. Sort of makes the lying less entertaining.


As you may recall, I sliced my finger Memorial Day Weekend. Doc had removed the sutures, so he asked me about the healing. I showed him the finger and commented about the nail that was sliced below the cuticle in the accident. I was curious about where the nail started since it was split under the skin and was now growing out. He took a look and remarked about how quickly it is growing. Without thinking much, I responded, "I drink a lot of milk." I said it partly because it was the first thing I thought of and partly in attempt to entertain the obviously bored med student. Cricket. Cricket. No response but a glaring look from both. Seriously? Lighten up, people!



So, we continued with the physical. Doc asked about my feet, "Do you have any pains in your feet?" I went on to explain my Plantar Fasciitis issue during Marathon training but I assured him I haven't hurt in the last 6 months. This must have sparked his interest and he asked how much I run during the week.



I had brought a book in with me since we all know appointment times mean zilch in the land of medicine. I recently picked up a mindless chick lit book to read from the Shopaholic series. He looked at the book and started asking me questions about it. At that moment, I thought "I should have been reading something more intellectual or classical." Oh well, I admit it. I read mindless books on occasion.



The results of the physical were pretty good. I am pretty proud of my 142 cholesterol number with 57 HDL (good kind). Looks like my good eating habits (Monday-Friday) and my running have paid off. They are concerned about my B12, though. He asked if I was a vegetarian which I laughed and said "No, I love animal products." I had to get more bloodwork done today so they can look specifically at my B12. I hope that is just something I can add to my diet. I'm horrible at remembering pills.



So, I'm waiting at the lab area and Doc comes over and hands me this:




He told me "If you like to read and you are a runner, you should read this book." I told him thank you. I thought it was nice of him to try and connect with me. Most doctors don't. A few minutes later, he comes back with the book and says, "You can't take this home with you, but read the first chapter before you leave." I thought that was really cool of him. And you know what? I want to finish the book now.


So, physical went well. I'm pretty healthy and Doc has prescribed that I read about the Tarahumura Indians to improve my running. The real question here is: Does MedCo cover Barnes and Noble?


3 comments:

The Denbow Family said...

You make me laugh! Of course insurance covers good reading material. Go ahead and buy it then send in your receipt for reimbursement! If Obama keeps it up, the federal government will cover your reading material!!! ha ha :)

Joanna said...

Mindy,
Was the doctor hitting on you?? Good story. Let me know if the book is a good read.

Mindyb said...

Joanna, I hope not. There was a band of gold on his left ring finger. I think he was trying to be a "good" doctor and put effort into his doctor/patient relationships. Probably because he intends to do something different that requires people skills when the Government takes over and he can't pay his student loans back anymore...but I digress...