Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Snuggle Buddy


As you may recall, I decided to make the 6 years of employment with Starbucks Coffee a gift that keeps on giving. I had so many t-shirts from my years with the company and knew that I wouldn't wear them again. So, I pulled them all out and started cutting them up. I kept one intact since I already had the 4x4 panels and, as any good barista would do, I opted NOT to use the Vivanno shirt. (There are so many reasons baristas hate Vivannos.)
This little project taught me a few more sewing skills even though the finished product isn't perfect. T-shirts creep even with interface. If I were to do it over again, then I would have used a stiffer interface. I was pretty far into the project when I realized there were numerous mistakes. I finally resolved that I was making something to curl up on the couch with and not something to enter into a quilt show. I pressed on and thought I would finish it last night. However, due to a number of wrong stitches and the need to remove entire quilt length seams, I ran out of thread with one side left to bind. I was so frustrated! I only had 5-10 minutes worth of work left and out of thread. It is times like that I wish I knew more neighbors, preferably ones that sew and wouldn't mind loaning out spools of thread. I made a stop on the way home from work and finished my new snuggle buddy up.
I'm happy to announce that I am typing this right now with said quilt on my lap and it is mighty comfy. I think I'll try to make another one really soon. Next time, I'll shoot closer to perfection...maybe.

1 comment:

Sarah Bragg said...

that's great!! you are a sewing machine! just made myself laugh out loud because there was no pun intended!