Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My First Travel Race

When I moved to Virginia Beach, I started running races because there were more than enough to fill a runner's calendar in the immediate area. All of my big races have been right here. Traveling to run never really crossed my mind. I had heard lots of good things about Richmond's race, mostly the presence of a junk food table on course. When my running partner's husband registered, we decided we would try it also. That's when we began speed training with a goal of breaking 2 hours.

My best half time was 2:15. To cut 15 minutes off would be quite a feat. As the race approached, I decided it best to be more realistic. I decided that I would try to hit 2:05. Still a lofty goal, but something to shoot for.

This race was very different for two reasons. First, our hotel was about 2 blocks from the start. That means no stress in finding a parking spot and more sleep time. Second, it was a new place to run. I'm not at all familiar with Richmond, so I was excited to "see the sights" as we ran.

For the first 8 miles I felt great and kept my pace just where I wanted. However, at mile 8 I hit an unusual wall. Perhaps it was the unexpected number of hills the first half of the race presented or just a mental block but I have no idea what happened. I began to slow down for the next 2-3 miles. I had to completely get in my head and talk myself out of going slow. Around mile 11 I started to get a little faster and finally came back to my target pace for the 13th mile. I finished at 2:11:19. To cut off 4 minutes is pretty substantial and has only fueled me to find another one and try again. Thanks to Coach Tim, I'm getting faster and I know if I can get myself together mile 8-11, I can reach my goal.

Karen and I after the race. Shortly after this picture, we saw the Marathon winner cross the finish. His time was 2:18. He took 7 more minutes than I to run twice the distance. It just makes me sick. Kenyans....
This is my friend from work, Christa. I have this habit of convincing people that they can run long distances and twisting their arms to register for a race. This was my most recent victim. Not only had she never run a Half Marathon before, she had never run A RACE EVER. She was on a definite runner's high when I saw her. So proud of you, Christa!!
Believe it or not, I ran into a college friend at the finish line! It truly is a small world.
I'm taking a bit of a break this week on running but I'm aggressively searching the internet for a new half. Send me your suggestions. I'm willing to travel. :o)

No comments: