Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Operation: Other Brother

I cannot wait to share this wonderful story. One day last week, a friend of mine, Michelle, called me in the middle of the day. I was curious about the call, so I took it while at work. The emotion in her voice indicated that something had happened. She began the conversation like this: "Did you know I had 2 brothers that were adopted?" First of all, I knew very little about her family life and that statement confused me. Did she mean her parents adopted 2 boys or that they put 2 boys up for adoption? She continued to explain and I will give you her sister's account (somewhat abridged) from MySpace: "For those of you that don't know about my life, there were 4 kids in our family. Our 2 brothers were adopted out 23 years ago. My mother left when I was young and my father passed away shortly after.
Recently, Michelle received a message on MySpace from Jordy-Bob asking if she had a little brother who was adopted. She told me about the message and we both thought the sender was our brother and were determined to find the answers. I went to Jordy-Bob's page and found a friend of his online. I sent a quick message giving a brief history of what was going on and after a number of complicated messages between several individuals, Jordy-Bob logged on. We chatted for a few minutes through MySpace and before long I gave him my number. As a result, I spoke to my little brother on the phone for nearly 2 hours! He had some information about our mom that was devastating but cleared up a lot of confusion. I finally have some concrete answers to questions I've always had about her, my dad, and their decision to adopt my brothers out.
We still have another brother who turned 27 last month. His name is Raymond Richards and is reported to have moved to the East Coast in 1985."
Can you believe a family torn apart is slowly being mended? It is amazing to see God's perfect timing and the result of His healing. I am sharing this story for two reasons. The first reason is to encourage others. We don't always understand the whys and hows of life, but we can be confident that our Heavenly Father has it all under control. For reasons unseen, this family has experienced life in a way many of us cannot imagine. But, my God is a God of redemption and restoration. This concept is very real for these folks right now. The second reason is the launch of a new campaign: Operation Other Brother. (If you know me at all, I name every project I conduct.) So, I am asking any and all readers to share this story and begin the search for Raymond Richards. It can't be difficult to find him with the wide networks we have created on the World Wide Web! So, please join me in the pursuit to find Raymond Richards and help this family to be reunited completely. If you have more questions, email me!

No comments: