Sunday, November 15, 2009

4 Months to Go

My running partner and I adventured literally all over Virginia Beach to get our miles logged for the weekend. Our usual running spot was under water due to Storm Ida so we had to find a route that would equal 13 miles. Karen took me on a lovely tour of neighborhoods I didn't know about and I fell in love with many waterfront homes. It was nice to be around civilization when the bathroom urge hit. I'm not a fan of the port-o-potty, so when Chickfila was in sight I made the stop. Later that evening when I was driving to Chip's I realized just how much of the Great Neck/Laskin Road area that we ran. WOW!

During the run, I felt pretty good with the exception of a few brief moments of weakness and fighting with the streetside debris that continued to get stuck in my shoe. At the end of the run, we had run about 13.2 miles. That is about .1 more than I have ever done before. Once we stopped, fatigue hit me pretty hard. I was worn out. Thankfully, Karen's husband serves as "Coach" and knows the details of what we need to eat immediately after, etc. Did you know Slimfast is the best recovery drink after a long run? I'm not sure if I really like them, but that was the tastiest "treat" I had ever had! And just think, we have four more months of training left.

Next week: my first attempt at 15-16 miles.

No comments: