Saturday, December 5, 2009

Commitment

I learned a little lesson about commitment this morning. The Marathon training schedule had 18 miles for this weekend and Mother Nature had rain on her schedule. When I first left my house, it was just drizzly and I assumed it would be fine. As I approached Karen's house, the rain began to get heavier and I began to question what in the world I was about to get myself into. We decided to give it a shot despite the percipitation. If there's rain on race day, the show will still go on.

At about mile 2, Karen looks at me and says "We could turn around and then finish tomorrow." The rain was pounding and the wind was strong. I was indifferent but really preferred NOT to wake up early again tomorrow for running. I mean, I had been very careful in my eating on Friday and was fueled up. We decided to press on. Then the question arose again around 4.5 miles. This is when we discovered the importance of commitment. We were back and forth for a while with our decision until Karen recites a quote she had read about commitment. Of course, I don't remember the quote but it was about how commitment produces freedom because when we commit, the questions of will we or won't we do not exist. We are committed. That sealed the deal, rain and all. We would finish 18 miles no matter what.

Being wet no longer mattered and, more so, running through mud and rain puddles wasn't even thought of any longer. We were determined to finish and enjoy it along the way. Once I came to terms with sloshing feet and chilly extremities, it was a good run. We finished 18 miles, our longest run yet. And you know what, I had a good time!

1 comment:

Karen Robinson said...

Here is the real quote, which I am sure I didn't do justice either as as I soaking wet and not happy about the wind.

"The irony of commitment is that it is deeply liberating - in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life." Anne Morriss as quoted on a Starbucks coffee cup - wisdom comes from such unexpected places.