Friday, December 5, 2008

Daddy Long Legs

My officemate recently loaned me a book, Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster. I immediately fell in love with it and jotted down a few noteworthy quotes:

"It isn't the big troubles in life that require character. Anybody can rise to a crisis and face a crushing tragedy with courage, but to meet the petty hazards of the day with a laugh - I really think that requires spirit."

"Oh, I'm developing a beautiful character! It droops a bit under cold and frost, but it does grow fast when the sun shines."

"To bring a man into line, there are just two methods: one must either coax or be disagreeable."

"...a woman, whether she is interested in babies or microbes or husbands or poetry or servants or parallelograms or gardens or Plato or bridge - is fundamentally and always interested in clothes."

1 comment:

cbo said...

So glad you liked it! I knew you would; it is one of the best books ever. :) Don't forget to read the sequel Dear Enemy when you get the chance.