Monday, December 22, 2008

My Christmas Blessing

On Friday night, a public utilities worker pounded on my door insisting that I stop using any water due to a meter leak outside. In order to isolate the situation, he was going to shut the main water valve to everyone in my complex. To make a very long story short, it was my meter that was leaking. The condo association sent a plumber on Saturday to make the appropriate fix but unfortunately was unable to complete the job. I thought I was going to be without water all weekend but the plumber was a quick thinker. He asks, "Do you know any of your neighbors well enough to ask them if you can borrow water until Monday?" Unfortunately, I only knew one neighbor and she wasn't home. His response? "Well, now's as good a time as any to introduce yourself." He showed me the house that would be the easiest to borrow, so I went to the door. I recognized the gentleman. A few years ago, this family moved in and he had TN plates on his truck. Well, if you know me at all, I always chat with people from TN and he was no different. I made small talk with him then about being from TN then and when we see each other, we normally say hello. He agreed to open his water up to me while I offered to pay for the 36 hours worth of resources. He insisted that wouldn't be necessary. (This is another confirmation that Tennesseans take care of each other!) So, I got water for the weekend! Today the plumber came back, made the fix, and I am back in business. This evening I had already planned to make cookies for my family and decided to send some over there, too. Fortunately, I have many small food/gift bags for Christmas goodies and filled it up with some homemade cookies and an assortment of Hershey's Kisses from my candy jar. I walked over and knocked on the door to make delivery. He answered the door saw the bag and insisted that he couldn't take it. He says, "That's what neighbors do." I have to admit, I teared up and told him that I really appreciated it and wanted to just bring over some cookies and candy. We exchanged "Merry Christmas" and I left praying that the Lord would pour out His blessing on this family. They had surely blessed me.

1 comment:

Bobby Lou Cash said...

Just wanted to confirm that you will be at the Dixon family Christmas party on Saturday.
Mary