Wednesday, June 3, 2009

That's What Friends Are For...

I had an interesting episode occur today. My father called me in a bit of a panic with the question "Do you know anyone mechanically inclined in the Atlanta area?" I thought that was an interesting question, so I asked what was going on. He informed me that on my parent's trip back to SC from his GA conference, the radiator hose on their car burst. I couldn't think of anyone in particular that was "mechanically inclined" but about 75% of my besties live there. I told him I would get on the horn and call him back. I did what I knew to do from my days as Sigma president - phone tree! So, I sent a mass text out to Joanna, Whatup, Sarah, Kelly, and Joel. Immediately, Sarah called to find out where they were and then she gave me Amberly's number. Everyone started texting me back trying to help out and Joel used his handy dandy iPhone to find the nearest mechanics in the area. It all happened so fast and all I could think about was my folks sitting on the side of the road in the ATL heat. I mean, come on people. Why do you think it's called "HOTlanta"?

I couldn't believe how responsive everyone was and so willing to help. It was so amazing! The second time I ended up talking to Berly, she wanted to chat about my visit South and then I realized, "I'm gonna see all of these great people in one week!" This afternoon I appreciated my ATL crew more than ever and I'm super amped about the girls weekend just around the corner.

It's funny how there are some relationships that you build that are solid and firm for life even though they aren't watered and fertilized often. I guess it's more like family...

2 comments:

The Deavours Family said...

Wow, that Amberly person you mention is so awesome.

So...whatever happened to them?

Joanna said...

That is a nice post Mindy! I'm glad I'm your friend.